Saturday, March 9, 2013

Action Research Project

Some of our campuses struggle with behavior issues despite the district's implementation of PBIS (Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports).   I have chosen to focus my Action Research Project on our junior high school, and more specifically our current 7th grade students.  I will study current discipline data for this group along with teacher surveys that address the attitude toward and implementation of PBIS.  Because we will have a new administrator at that campus next year who is committed to PBIS, I will compare the current year data to next year's data.  Teacher surveys will again be conducted in December of next school year to provide comparison data.  Because the discipline of special education students is a specific concern, I will disaggregate that data as well.  PBIS is a research-based approach and I look forward to reviewing research specific to this age group.  I hope my research will illustrate that when properly implemented, the PBIS approach reduces classroom interruptions and student removals.  Students and teachers will benefit from fewer behavior issues.  Further, I hope that as a result of my project, other campuses will realize the benefit of this program and implement it fully as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment